Welcome to the Better Wives Club! This club is for women who want to improve their marriage, household, crafty side, spirituality, and most importantly YOU! The only requirement to be a member of the club is to become a follower. Making improvements in your home, learning and trying new things, becoming a better you, and leaving comments are things we hope our club inspires, but aren't mandatory. The best part is you don't have to come to any club meetings, they're all right here on the blog!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Count Your Blessings

Do you ever feel that nothing is going right?  That maybe you must be doing something wrong?  Probably too often, I feel overwhelmed with life and everything I have going on.  Some things we might all be thinking at one point or another are:
There are not enough hours in the day.  
I wish my husband was home more.  
I wish the hospital was paid off.  
Am I a good mother and wife?
(Maybe it's just me thinking these ones)

I especially hate those days when I think all that and more.  Those days, you need something to lift you up when you feel that nothing can.

I was at that point on Sunday.  Thankfully my husband came home from meetings and offered to stay home with the kids so I could go to church(they were all sick).  That was the first little lift I got.  Then while sitting in the chapel, I thought of my favorite hymn:  Count Your Blessings

I think this song can help anyone as they are going through certain situations and trials.  This week, it was verse 3 that touched me.  Though in the past, all the verses have touched me and strengthened me when I didn't think I could deal with whatever I might have been dealing with.

Because of this song on Sunday, I got the lift I needed to go on in my trials.  I found strength to look up and not down.  It is better to look up.  This song reminds me that I have so many things to be grateful for.  My husband, my daughters, my family, my home (even though it's getting tight), my Savior, my knowledge, and so many more.


For any of you who do not know this beautiful song, here are the verses:

1.    When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
       Count your many blessings; name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
2.    Are you ever burdened with a load of care?  Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
       Count your many blessings; every doubt will fly, and you will be singing as the days go by.
3.    When you look at others with their lands and gold, think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
       Count your many blessings; money cannot buy your reward in heaven nor your home on high.
4.    So amid the conflict whether great or small, do not be discouraged; God is over all.
       Count your many blessings; angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Count you blessings; name them one by one.  Count your blessings; see what God hath done.  Count your blessings; name them one by one.  Count your many blessings; see what God hath done.

This song always helps me realize that I am never alone and that I CAN do it.  I hope it helps anyone who might be feeling down.  Remember to look up and to count your many blessings.

Do you have any songs, quotes, anything really that helps you when you need a boost?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Love this post. I'm sad that it's taken me SO long to see it. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and think about the things that ARE going right rather than dwell on what isn't.

I have too many favorite songs that get me through different situations as they come. One that will always be near and dear to my heart is I Stand All Amazed. When my little girl was in the NICU I was having an emotional Sunday, thinking about her and wishing she was at church with me rather than in the hospital with an unknown release date. It was hard having to trust the hospital staff to take care of her and even harder to leave her there alone without her mom or dad there. Then while sitting in Sacrament we started to sing that song and I couldn't help but sob the whole way through it. I felt SO thankful for my Savior and all that he's done for me and I knew everything would be okay and eventually, once she was ready, we would get to bring her home.

I've been trying to be more diligent in turning to my scriptures for answers. My most favorite scripture is Romans 8:16-18. It's a great reminder that we are all children of God and all heirs to the thrown. It helps me to be less judgmental of others!

Last, when I was in high school I made a copy of my patriarchal blessing and shrunk it down to fit in my scriptures. I actually glued it to the inside of the back cover and I try to read it once a month while the sacrament is being passed (usually on fast Sunday for inspiration to bare my testimony)! It's a great reminder of why I am here and what should be a priority in my life.