Welcome to the Better Wives Club! This club is for women who want to improve their marriage, household, crafty side, spirituality, and most importantly YOU! The only requirement to be a member of the club is to become a follower. Making improvements in your home, learning and trying new things, becoming a better you, and leaving comments are things we hope our club inspires, but aren't mandatory. The best part is you don't have to come to any club meetings, they're all right here on the blog!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

When Cooking Loses it's Appeal

I'm in a cooking funk. I feel like I make the same things on repeat every week. Part of the problem is because I hate following recipes. I'd just rather already know how to do it! My go-to meals seem to be:
  • Chicken Enchiladas
  • Beef Enchiladas
  • Chick Chimies (Recipe to come!)
  • Beef Stew
  • Chicken and Rice
  • Pot Roast
  • Tacos (chicken or beef)
  • and I'm sure a few others that aren't coming to mind
Help me out of my funk. What are some meals you make often because they're easy and you don't need to follow a recipe? If you have a recipe you want to share we'd love to feature it as a post!

7 comments:

Katy said...

We like pigs-in-a-blanket with frozen crinkle fries. What's easier than wrapping hotdogs in crescent rolls? Not super healthy though, so not super often, but the kids like it. Also, I make pizzas on french bread, it makes it easier because you don't have to work with dough. I just cut the french bread open and put pizza toppings on. And everyone gets exactly what they want.

Sara said...

French bread pizza is one we do occassionally... maybe once or twice a month. I'e never done pigs in a blanket before. I'll have to try it!

My crockpot gets a good workout too. My husband comes home from work for dinner and only has a half hour break so dinner has to be ready at exactly 6:30 so he has time to eat and get back. Crockpot dinners make it easy to be ready on time since I know exactly how long it will take for it to cook.

AN Petersen said...

Marinaded chicken over salad, chicken poofies, lasagna, haystacks, crock pot stuff, spaghetti, pizza pockets....... im trying to think what else i make without a recipe......i know there are more, i just can't think of them...meatloaf.

I think another idea would be to find some recipies of new things where you don't have to follow the recipe exactly, or something that you could memorize after making it one time. Then it would be a new thing in your list. I do that occasionally.

Sara said...

Chicken over salad is a good idea. I do lots of crockpot chicken and then just serve it over rice because it's easy. Salad would at least mix it up a little. I forget about haystacks. That one's definitely going on the "don't need a recipe" list. Spaghetti too! I don't know what chicken poofies or pizza pockets are... or how to make them!

Sara said...

I love crock-pot italian chicken. 4-6 chicken breasts, 8oz cream cheese, and a package of italian salad dressing mix. We like to pour it over rice.

It is definitely easy to stick with what you're good at.

Lacey said...

Oh i love the italian crock pot recipe! We do it over noodles. I actually have 3 recipes for it. One for italian, one for ranch, and one that calls for both. All 3 are excellent.

Chicken and brocolli casserole is easy and is done in a crockpot Its in the family cook book. ( i promise after you make it once you wont need a recipe anymore) Chicken fajitas are easy, especially if you buy frozen bell peppers. Your chicken tacos are on my list of recipes i cook at least once a week. They make awesome taquitos to. (you could bake them if you dont want the greese.) Cade loves meatballs. Its a crockpot recipe to, and its yummy and easy. 1 bag frozen meatballs, 3/4 jar grape jelly, and 2 bottle chilli sauce, we eat them over rice. Or if im in the mood we have meatball subs. Soo yummy. I'll keep brain storming!

Rachel said...

I love crock pot salsa chicken. Just chicken and salsa and when it's cooked, I just drain some of the extra salsa (not too much or it will be dry) and wrap it in a tortilla with cheese, lettuce and anything else you want to add.