Welcome to the Better Wives Club! This club is for women who want to improve their marriage, household, crafty side, spirituality, and most importantly YOU! The only requirement to be a member of the club is to become a follower. Making improvements in your home, learning and trying new things, becoming a better you, and leaving comments are things we hope our club inspires, but aren't mandatory. The best part is you don't have to come to any club meetings, they're all right here on the blog!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Show Your Appreciation - Revised

It's important to me to tell my husband I appreciate the things he does for me. I want him to know I notice the little things he does because there's a part of me that likes to think he'll keep doing it! And there are certain things that I expect my husband to do, like open the door for me or put the babe in the car when we're going somewhere and it's easy to overlook those things and not say thank you.

In order to make sure he knows I appreciate him I try to say thank you in different ways and not always just verbally which can sometimes seem meaningless. Recently I sent him an email telling him how much I appreciated something that he did for me and that what he did really made me feel like he cared about me. I mean, obviously he cares about me, but it's nice to be reminded sometimes. The reason I emailed him was because he had a conversation with me that I really appreciated and I wanted him to know that I was grateful he brought the topic up. I didn't want it to go unnoticed that what he did meant a lot to me and I felt an email would have been more heartfelt than a simple thank you.

Not everyone is on the texting bandwagon, but it's a great form of communication for the two of us. It allows us to talk while he's at work or school and carry conversation we wouldn't otherwise have if our only option was to talk on the phone or wait until we're in the same room. I tend to say thank you in texts often!

Occasionally I've given him a card, but it's not something I think he truly appreciates, so I don't do it often.

The biggest one and probably the easiest one for me is to thank him through prayer. When we pray together he can know I'm truly appreciative of him through the things that I say. I want him to know that I'm thankful he's a student and provides for our family, that he holds the priesthood and has a testimony, and that I think he's an amazing dad and I love watching him play with our child. Prayer is an easy way for me to let my husband know I appreciate the things he does for me and my family.

Revision:
It's been brought to my attention that I should clarify what I mean by this post. My husband and I say thank you plenty and for most everything. These are just things I do to go above and beyond verbally thanking him so that he knows it means more to me than just in the moment that it happens. For example when he takes the initiative to clean the kitchen because he sees that I'm having a hard time catching back up, I thank him right then, but I also try to bring it up again later by saying something like, "It's such a relief that the kitchen is clean so I can focus on something else, thank you so much for doing that" so that he knows it really did mean a lot to me. And I can thank him for things other than acts of service, like being a worthy priesthood holder. I hope that clears things up and nobody thinks that we use these other options as our only way of saying thank you! :)


What are ways you show your appreciation to your husband?

No comments: