Welcome to the Better Wives Club! This club is for women who want to improve their marriage, household, crafty side, spirituality, and most importantly YOU! The only requirement to be a member of the club is to become a follower. Making improvements in your home, learning and trying new things, becoming a better you, and leaving comments are things we hope our club inspires, but aren't mandatory. The best part is you don't have to come to any club meetings, they're all right here on the blog!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Zaycon Chicken Event

Hi guys, long time no talk on my side! Sorry about that, I'm currently 22 (23 tomorrow) weeks pregnant with a 15 month old! Things have been a little busy around here.


How many of you have heard about Zaycon Foods? Well I'm always looking for a way to buy things in bulk for cheap, and Zaycon was an answer to my prayers! In October they had a chicken event, you get a 40lb box of fresh boneless, skinless, never frozen, chicken for $1.49lb!!! That is super, super cheap!! My plan was to buy a case and can it, but I found out a week after I purchased it that I was pregnant and all those plans went out the window! I ended up buying a chest freezer and bagging all the meat with the hope that I would can most of it later... (that still hasn't happened yet!)

Seriously, ordering from zaycon was soooo easy. I went to their website www.zayconfoods.com, registered with them, (if you refer people and they use your name you get a dollar credit... so if you feel like giving someone credit you can use Lacey Bryce ;) or, if you already know someone using the sight feel free to use their name!) I looked at the events and locations and made sure they came to my tiny town... which surprisingly they did! I placed my order online, and they emailed me all the information I needed. The chicken came in about 3 weeks later, I went to the location they were delivering at (it was a local store parking lot) I drove up, rolled down my window, showed the nice gentleman my confirmation and he loaded the case of chicken for me! I never even had to get out of the car! Now that's service! The chicken comes in 1 huge bag, with 3 or 4 bags of chicken inside.

This is the massive 40lb bag... Yes it is on a towel I'd rather wash a towel than sanitize my chicken because chicken juice leaked everywhere... (I still sanitized the counter top no worries;))

 The chicken has never been cut or processed so it comes as an actual breast... its heart shaped. I'd never seen anything like it... I cut the chicken apart and bagged them, some in bags of two, some in individual bags. The chicken was huge, one breast can easily feed my husband and myself. They really dont cook down a whole lot like grocery store chicken does. (did i mention there is no added hormones or preservatives!)
 I wasn't kidding about the size, it's bigger than my cutting board! 
 I ended up with 20 bags of two chicken breasts, and 22 bags of individual chicken breasts! Id say the $59.60 i spent was very worth it!
All in all I'm really happy with doing this. Did I mention they don't just do chicken? They do produce, hamburger meat, and bacon. These don't all run at the same time, you have to wait for the event to come. I believe the chicken event is still happening in select areas, and if your area has already happened, no worries, they will do it again in a few months. I had been aware of the sight for over a year before I bought anything. I just registered with them so I would get the emails about what events they were doing. I'm so glad I finally got brave and ordered... it has saved us a ton of money. I was going through a bag of frozen chicken at Walmart (almost 7 bucks) a week. We eat a lot of chicken due to my husband's gout.


  • Did you find this sight helpful?
  • Do you know of other sights similar to this that would be good for buying in bulk for canning/food storage purposes?

5 comments:

Sara said...

This sounds pretty cool! Does it cost anything to join the site? I would have to get a deep freezer before I can do anything like this because our freezer is crappy small,but it seems way worth it!

Sara said...

That does sound awesome! Although, I agree with needing a bigger freezer. :) We get our chicken at Sam's club, ($10 for a 6lb bag) but sometimes it's freezer-burned. blegh. I'll have to keep this site in mind for the day I get a freezer! :)

PS I bet you can just use the chicken from the freezer. You've got at least a year to use it.

AN Petersen said...

I have ordered from them twice before. It actaully doesnt take as much room as you would think. especially if you cook some of it and cut it into chunks before cooking. i love it.

Rachel said...

Very helpful post. Thanks. I'm going to take a look at it. I would love to see my freezer look like that.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I was going to say the same as Sara - you don't have to can it if you don't want to. You can just use it from the freezer - that's what I do when I buy a 40 lb bag. You can keep it frozen for a year.

I'll for sure get on this website!! Thanks for the tip. I just wait for the grocery store to have a chicken sale, but I haven't seen one for a while and we are out of our chicken storage. :)