Welcome to the Better Wives Club! This club is for women who want to improve their marriage, household, crafty side, spirituality, and most importantly YOU! The only requirement to be a member of the club is to become a follower. Making improvements in your home, learning and trying new things, becoming a better you, and leaving comments are things we hope our club inspires, but aren't mandatory. The best part is you don't have to come to any club meetings, they're all right here on the blog!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Planning Ahead

When I was newly married, I often felt like I fell in the category of Horrible Housewife. You know, the kind that can never seem to keep up with the housework, and have dinner on the table by the time the husband comes home. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand how many times I made a home cooked meal in that first year, which I find surprising seeing as how I love to cook. Why, you ask did I not cook? Answer: My husband thought It would be cheaper to eat out every night, so we did, except for family dinners with the In-laws on Sunday. It has taken almost 3 years, but I think I have finally proven that it is cheaper to eat at home versus eating fast food every night. (not to mention sooo much better for my waist line!) Being a stay-at-home-mom I feel it's part of my job to have dinner ready at night. Here's how I do it.

I make a weekly list, every day Monday-Sunday I write down what I plan to make for dinner that week. Sometimes I get brave and make a list for two weeks! Here is this week's list: (We can only eat chicken, my husband has a nasty case of gout and most meats (red, and most white, and fish) cause him to have an out break. Therefore I apologize in advance that most of my recipes will be gout friendly.)

Monday- Cream Cheese Chicken and Noodles
Tuesday- Chicken Fajitas
Wednesday- Taco Salad
Thursday- Chicken and Broccoli over Rice
Friday - Date Night (but just in case we can't find a sitter, Hawaiian Haystacks)
Saturday - Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and a Veggie
Sunday- Baked Chicken Chimis

See, I really wasn't kidding about my whole week being mainly chicken recipes. You learn to love it. But my reason for sharing this is because it helps so much to be organized and have a list when you go grocery shopping. I am famous for shopping when I'm hungry and filling my cart with junk, and not enough items for dinner. Planning ahead also cuts my spending by almost half. By making this list I can check my pantry and know what I have already and what I need. Instead of showing up at the grocery store and realizing I can't remember if I have this or not! It is completely worth it. Dont believe me, try it for a week... I dare you! Happy Planning!

For those that already do this, what are some things that you've found work really well for you or are different from what I've talked about?

3 comments:

Katy said...

I have tried this, and sometimes I feel like life is conspiring against me. Something always happens to make it impossible to stick to the menu and it drives me crazy! So I now try to make a list of suggestions before shopping. then I know I have stuff for those meals and I make which ever one I have time for. It just helps me to know it's not set in stone I guess.

Lacey said...

I love that, they're are multiple times that I dont make the meal intended for the day. Or that this list runs into next week. But like you said, at least I know i have the ingredients to make these meals!! Life is busy and hectic!! :)

Sara said...

I like it! My problem is that I never want to make the dinner I have planned. Ha! So instead I like to have a list of optional dinners and I just pick one that sounds good. I also like to start in the pantry and find dinners that use things I already have, the less I have to buy, the better!